Create the Plan. Make the Plan happen.
Public Spaces, Building Rehabs, & Place-making
Here's a look at some of our projects and proudest moments.
Jackson Street Plaza & Parking
A beautiful new green space and 70+ new parking spaces for the north side of Jackson Street.
Form and function. This project includes a new green space featuring a meandering water feature, lush vegetation, patios, and swings. The pedestrian-friendly space connects new off-street parking to the shops and restaurants along West Jackson Street.
DDA collaborated heavily with the City of Dublin on creating a design to meet all of the aesthetic and infrastructure needs pointed out by our stakeholders. And of course, many thanks to our Mayor and City Council for making this project a priority.
This project represents a $3 million public investment and directly impacted $9+ million in private investment in one city block! It is now the crown jewel of our downtown redevelopment efforts.
Out with the old, in with the older.
Like many downtowns across the country, Dublin saw its fair share of gorgeous architecture covered and mangled during the 1960's and 70's. This beauty - The Corker Building - was built in 1898, and in 2017 her facade saw the light of day for the first time in decades. The clouds opened, the angels sang, it was a glorious day for preservationists everywhere.
Completed in 2019, the Corker, along with an adjacent building, is now home to Curry Maffett Insurance, Edward Jones Financial, an additional office space, and seven loft apartments. . DDA worked with the developer to qualify the project for historic tax credits and state loan programs. The developer, Michael Maffett, is a fourth generation business owner and was the recipient of the 2020 Chairman's Award from the Georgia Trust.
Downtown's most prominent corner received a major facelift.
At 14,000 sq. ft., the Henry Building is one of Downtown Dublin's largest, most noticeable buildings. Built in 1903 and situated at the corner of two busy highways just across from the courthouse, the building was once home to Dublin Banking Company and later Belk Matthews. Much of the historic fabric of the building was removed in the 1950's and 60's, which included a grand turret, to make way for the department store. (Same story, different building, right?)
Lucky for us the Henry's long-time owners, the Curry family, know a good investment when they see one, and it has now been restored to new glory and is home to GovStrive, Serenity Hospice, Citizens Bank and a co-work space. With the help of historic tax credits, loan programs, and community partnerships, this dream became a reality.
The hail Mary of all projects!
In 2013, Dublin DDA set out to restore the grand 1912 First National Bank building, locally called "the Skyscraper." This six-story beauty was built in the hey-day of the agricultural boom in the area, so no expense was spared when constructing this building. The bollwevel struck in 1918, and the Skyscraper, once known as the "tallest building between Macon and Savannah" became simply, and tragically, the tallest eyesore.
Through years of planning and building partnerships, the DDA worked with Gainesville native, the late, great Jim Walters to bring this magnificent gem back to life. Now restored and home to Georgia Military College and private professional offices, the Skyscraper continues to serve as a catalyst for future development in downtown.